US Army Virtual Soldier Research News Update

Virtual Soldier Research vsr at ccad.uiowa.edu
Fri Oct 29 16:07:06 PDT 2004

1.      Santos (VSR digital human) makes an appearance in Forbes magazine.
2.      VSR receives funding from the US Army RDECOM
3.      VSR researchers receive major award from the American Society of
Mechanical Engineers
4.      VSR featured in two Italian articles (in Italian)
5.      Santos gets a new website
(<http://santos.digital-humans.org/>http://santos.digital-humans.org)
6.      New Journal: The International Journal of Human Factors Modeling
and Simulation
7.      Reminder:  SAE Digital Human Modeling conference abstract submission.
If you wish to be removed from this list, Reply to this email with the
subject heading "Remove". Thank you.

  1.  Santos makes an appearance in Forbes magazine.
Santos, the Virtual Soldier Research program's digital soldier was shown in
Forbes Magazine.  The University of Iowa was selected by the Princeton
Review to be among the top ten entrepreneurial colleges in the United
States.  To represent Iowa, Forbes magazine chose a picture of Santos
working with a graduate student to publish on their web site.

The Top Ten Entrepreneurial Colleges
     1.      University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
     2.      University of Notre Dame
     3.      Louisiana State University and A&M College
     4.      Northeastern University
     5.      Indiana University - Bloomington
     6.      Carnegie Mellon University
     7.      Syracuse University
     8.      University of Arizona
     9.      University of Iowa
   10.      University of New Hampshire
See
<http://www.forbes.com/lists/2004/10/20/04conncampentrepreland.html->http://www.forbes.com/lists/2004/10/20/04conncampentrepreland.html-

  2.  VSR receives funding from the US Army RDECOM
The VSR program continues to receive research funding from the US Army
Research, Development, and Engineering Command (RDECOM).  The objectives
are to develop a fifth generation digital human that is intelligent, has
realistic motions and postures, that evaluates prototypes of components and
systems before they are built, therefore reducing significant costs
associated with making physical prototypes. Santos, VSR's digital human,
has autonomous behavior, skin that deforms and muscles that contract and is
built from the ground up using correct anatomy and a full musculoskeletal
system.

  3.  VSR researchers receive major award from the American Society of
Mechanical Engineers
A paper entitled "The Iowa Interactive Digital-Human Virtual Environment,"
written
by Dr. Jingzhou Yang, Dr. Karim Abdel-Malek, Kimberly Farrell, and Kyle
Nebel, will
receive the Outstanding Paper Award at the 2004 ASME (American Society of
Mechanical Engineers) International Mechanical Engineering Congress
(IMECE), to be held November 13-19, in Anaheim, Calif.

  4.  VSR featured in two Italian articles (in Italian)
Two independent Italian news agencies published articles in Italian about
the Virtual Soldier Research effort under headings:

a. Lo US Army recluta soldati
virtuali
<http://punto-informatico.it/p.asp?i=46097>http://punto-informatico.it/p.asp?i=46097
published in Punto Informatico

b. I want
you!
<http://contenuti.interfree.it/118/IDNotizia6454.htm>http://contenuti.interfree.it/118/IDNotizia6454.htm
published by Club InterFree

  5.  Santos gets a new web site
(<http://santos.digital-humans.org/>http://santos.digital-humans.org)
We are requesting your help in supporting this web site.  All you have to
do is keep track of what we do and express your opinions, give us feedback
as we push this technology forward.  Our intent is to make Santos a virtual
soldier that can accomplish tasks for you, test products, and reduce
costs.  We cannot do these objectives alone, but we seek collaborations
that will bring technologies together to accomplish these goals.

  6.  New Journal: The International Journal of Human Factors Modeling and
Simulation (HFMS)
Researchers are invited to submit technical articles to this new journal,
published by Inderscience, Ltd of the UK.  HFMS will focus on digital human
technologies and pertinent research in human computer interaction, and
computational human factors.  The Journal's web site is:
<https://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=124>https://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=124

7.  Reminder:  SAE Digital Human Modeling conference abstract submission.
The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2005 Digital Human Modeling
Symposium will be held June 14-16, 2005 in Iowa City, Iowa. Please go to
the web page: <http://www.sae.org/dhmc>www.sae.org/dhmc for the call for
papers and to submit your abstract on-line.

Contact VSR:

<mailto:beck at ccad.uiowa.edu>beck at ccad.uiowa.edu

Tel. 319-384-0574

<http://www.digital-humans.org>www.digital-humans.org