Important memo from NSF to computational geometers

jsbm at ams.sunysb.edu jsbm at ams.sunysb.edu
Thu Oct 30 09:26:16 PST 2003

[I am passing along a memo from NSF forwarded to me as a member
of the Steering Committee. The Nov 5 deadline for GSGNR is
no longer relevant; a new deadline will be announced (for a date
in early 2004).    Joe]

Dear Colleagues:

As you have no doubt already heard, the CISE Directorate is in the throws of
a major reorganization.

DON'T PANIC!! Graphics, Symbolic, Geometric, and Numeric Research will be
supported in the new CISE but the disciplinary program, Graphics, Symbolic
and Geometric Computing, will no longer exist. Rather, we will become part
of a new cluster called FORMAL AND MATHEMATICAL FOUNDATIONS (FMF). This
cluster is within the DIVISION OF COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATIONS FOUNDATIONS.
For detailed descriptions of the new clusters (the replacements for
programs, CISE-wide), check the CISE website periodically.

Various (old) programmatic deadlines for the FNF cluster have been
announced. IGNORE THEM. The new deadline will be well into FEBRUARY with the
usual 1-month window for proposal submissions. The specific cluster and
topic codes, etc., will be on FastLane to help get your proposal to the
right spot in the cluster.

On November 3, 2003, all of the aforementioned changes will take place.
There will be new Divisions and clusters within CISE, but CISE's mission
will not change.

Why have we elected to change the CISE structure? If you haven't read Peter
Freeman's slides on the web -
http://www.cise.nsf.gov/news/cise_all_hands_meeting_files/frame.htm - it is
instructive to do so now. From our vantage point, the new structure should
dramatically improve the way we conduct our business.

Once again, stay tuned and don't worry.

Bob, John, and Xiaodong

Dr. Robert Grafton	Dr. John Staudhammer	Dr. Xiaodong Zhang