Algorithm for Area of a closed polygon.

Jeffrey_Danowitz at amat.com Jeffrey_Danowitz at amat.com
Thu Nov 13 11:44:36 PST 2003

Hi!
Perhaps this is equivalent to Gill's idea. Pick any vertex on the polygon.
No need to assume anything except that the array, p, of vertices is in
polygonal order, which it usually the case. From that point, build 2
vectors (p(b),p(b+1)), (p(b),p(b+2)) and take half the cross product
(signed area). Continue around taking vectors (p(b),p(b+i)) and
(p(b),p(b+i+1)) i=2,...n-1, summing the signed areas as you go along.
In the end take the absolute value -- and this is the area.
If you think about it, this is just Green's theorem in action.  Clearly
this is a linear algorithm.

I hope my description is clear.

Yours,
Jeff