Closed figure expansion/contraction algorithm

Frederic Leymarie leymarie at lems.brown.edu
Wed Nov 27 12:44:24 PST 2002

Dear Ted

Look for Mathematical Morphology on the web.
What you are describing are called "dilations" and "erosions"
by a "structural element" usually taken to be a round ball
(say of radius 1cm), sometimes approximated by a squared block, etc.

The same technology works in 3D; e.g., see my version of it:
http://www.lems.brown.edu/vision/people/leymarie/MathMorpho/Medical.html

In 2D, you will find good implementation in packages like MATLAB
(with the image processing toolbox).
The khoros package also has many mathematical morphology tools
(the student version is free).
Micromorph from the originators of the field is available under
http://malte.ensmp.fr/Micromorph/mmorpha.htm

I believe you can find free software from researchers active in this
area (especially if you only need a simple dilation/erosion, not
necessarily Euclidean, ...).

I hope this helps,
Frederic
--

--
Frederic FOL LEYMARIE, R&D Project leader, SHAPE Lab.
http://www.lems.brown.edu/vision/extra/SHAPE/