Faculty Search Plug & Announcement

Lucia K. Dale ldale at sewanee.edu
Sat Jan 19 15:33:44 PST 2002

Hello, All

The ad included below appeared in the Dec'01 Communications of the ACM.
I'd just like to add in my 2 cents about Sewanee.  I've been at the
University for a year now and I really love it here.  The area is
geographically stunning -- very much like living in the middle
of a national park.  We have lots of hiking and outdoor activity
opportunities.

The school itself is a well-endowed liberal arts school.  Teaching is
of primary importance but excellent research funding and support also
is possible.  I've recently been awarded a 3 year NSF grant specifically
targeted to research at undergraduate universities.  The students here
are smart and engaged and class sizes are small so you can do a lot
with your students.

Feel free to email me or call me direct if you have questions
before applying directly to my department head as suggested in the
ad below.

Cheers

--
Lucia K. Dale
Asst. Professor, Computer Science

http://ldale.sewanee.edu/

Applications are invited for a tenure track position in computer
science at the assistant professor level to begin in the Fall of the
year 2002. The position requires a Ph.D. in computer science.
Candidates must be committed to both teaching and research in a
four-year liberal arts college.

The University of the South, commonly known as Sewanee, is a highly
selective church-related (Episcopal) liberal arts college of 1300
students located on a 10,000 acre forested domain in the Tennessee
uplands. The student faculty ratio is 11 to one and the endowment per
student is among the highest in the nation.

The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science offers majors in
both mathematics and computer science as well as the respective
minors. The department also offers service courses for students
majoring in other programs and teaches courses which are part of the
core curriculum of the college.

Facilities include a workstation laboratory with Linux and NT
operating systems for advanced courses and state of the art teaching
laboratories for introductory courses. The campus network provides
connections to faculty offices, computer labs, classrooms, student
dorm rooms, the library, academic and administrative file servers,
and the Internet.

We have in place a vigorous program in computer science and seek
candidates who would actively participate in its further development.
Broad education in computer science and appreciation for the liberal
arts tradition in education are desirable. Our students participate
in an expanding program of undergraduate research initiatives and
some former students are attending the best graduate schools in the
country.

A complete application will include a letter stating one's
professional aims and giving reasons for interest in a liberal arts
college, a resume and three letters of recommendation.
All should be sent to Laurence Alvarez,
The University of the South, 735 University Avenue, Sewanee, TN
37383-1000. For more information about the University of the South
see our web pages at http://www.sewanee.edu. For more information
about this position send email to lalvarez at sewanee.edu. Applications
received by February 1 will have first consideration.

The University of the South is an equal opportunity employer. Women
and minorities are encouraged to apply.